Wednesday 14 November 2012

Blessings of life


A friend recently commented to me, "I know i could do with some wonderful things this year", a simple statement that got me thinking.

I know that life offers it's challenges, but I wonder, do we sometimes miss some of the wonderful things because we're concentrating on the trials? Can we be too focused on the difficulties and disappointments to see that wonderful things have indeed happened right under our noses?

Life can be challenging, disappointing and despairing at times but i know that i don't wanna miss out on the great, exciting, wonderful things that are going on because I'm distracted.

One spring i remember walking past a wood. I hadn't really looked, but I noticed the big bare trees. They looked quite austere, frightening and strong. This reminded me that life can have some huge boundaries in our lives (like the trees) that we don't know how to tackle or overcome as they are so huge. I didn't really take a close look as the bare trees weren't very pleasant to look at to be honest.
But as I carried on walking, I glanced over at the woods and suddenly noticed these beautiful bright bluebells springing up. This really surprised me. There were hundreds of them.

How had i missed them?

I realised then that we can sometimes be overwhelmed/blinded by the few big obstacles in life, failing to see the hundreds of beautiful, bright blessings.

I was so surprised that I'd missed appreciating those gorgeous little flowers.

I don't want to miss the wonderful blessings in my life.

So, no matter what huge obstacles come my way i will endeavour to search for those beautiful, wonderful things that enrich life,

So, if this year you are hoping for a some wonderful things, try taking a closer look at your life and see what is already there that gives you joy. I challenge you to take a close look, inspect your life and recognise the wonderful things that are already blossoming in it.

"whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things."

No comments:

Post a Comment