Tuesday 3 March 2015

Battlefield of the mind

Ephesians 5:10; 'try to discern what is pleasing to the Lord.'

As I was walking the local high street, I was reminded about the sermon we heard on Sunday. The sermon was about putting God first, to ask God for bravery and to act on what He asks us to do. I have also read the above verse during the week.

So, I started to think about what my purpose was right there in the high street. What would be, 'pleasing to the Lord'
I realised I had my own mission to get certain things done in a specific time. Then I wondered, what was God's mission for me there? Did He have one? 

I know it might not be a huge thing, in fact it probably wasn't, but I still found it hard to pray and ask God about it. I found my mind telling me not to pray that God would use me, because it would probably disrupt my day and my plans might have to change if God asked me to do something and then my timings would all be thrown out and I might not get to do what I wanted to achieve. So, although I was kind of willing, was I actually going to do it?

I realised that following God's call is scary.

I like to be in control and know what is going to happen. 
But, what is more important - my mission or God's mission?

After this little battle, I prayed. I told God that it was scary, but I asked that He would help me to see His mission whilst I was shopping and on my way home, even if it was just showing kindness to someone.

Then, I carried on with what I had to do, and pretty much forgot about it.

That was, until I was nearer home, and felt that nothing has really happened. I did think though that I had conquered something in my own mind. I had been prepared to do something even if I hadn't seen the opportunity.

Then, I saw a neighbour by the bus stop. 

They'd just missed their bus and had to wait for the next one. So, I stopped to chat. All the time my mind was remiding me that I should really get home as I and a,b,c to do and that was before d happened. But I chose to stay, and waited with them until the next bus came. I felt that I was trying to, 'discern what is pleasing to the Lord.' God makes time for us, so we should take time for others.

I know, it was only something small, and maybe insignificant, I didn't get to explain the mysteries of God with them, or have a deep and meaningful conversation, but I was able to listen and be with them. 

Was that God's mission for me that day? 
I don't know, but I did feel that maybe it's the small opportunities that we sometimes miss because it's easier to do something else and make excuses to leave. 
Showing kindness to someone doesn't have to cost us much. 
I am challenging myself to be more brave, and, 'try to discern what is pleasing to the Lord' I wonder what will happen next?!

No comments:

Post a Comment