Thursday 12 November 2015

Trying to live right

We all have what I would consider a 'moral code' that we each live by. 
We try to keep our own rules, and live what we consider a good life. Not getting into too much trouble. But, let's be honest - How many times have you broken your own rules? Your own 'moral code' that you align your life with? 
We all make mistakes, that's true, and if it's our own moral code that we're keeping then it can be adapted as we wish. We can let things go, and try to turn a blind eye to the feeling inside that maybe we aren't living quite right. But why then is it that we have that nagging feeling that we aren't quite right within ourselves?

Isaiah 50:10
10  Who among you fears the Lord 
and obeys the voice of his servant? 
  Let him who walks in darkness 
and has no light 
  trust in the name of the Lord 
and rely on his God. 
 11  Behold, all you who kindle a fire, 
who equip yourselves with burning torches! 
  Walk by the light of your fire, 
and by the torches that you have kindled! 
  This you have from my hand: 
you shall lie down in torment. 

The Bible uses the imagery of light and darkness as metaphors for good & bad or right and wrong. This makes me think of our own 'moral code'. We think that we are lighting our way, 'Walk by the light of your fire,'. 
We try to do and say and be what is good and right, but we are really holding a 'burning torch'. We could get burnt! What if someone one day finds out we are not as good as we claim? I
 for one would not like all of my mistakes to come to light! 

I want to live a good life, I want to think right, do, say and act in a right way, I hate getting things wrong. However, I cannot do this on my own, my 'torch' is a small section of light, it does not let me see the fuller picture, and I do stumble, I trip myself up and get things wrong as I cannot see fully where I am going. 

This is why I need to, 'Let him who walks in darkness and has no light trust in the name of the Lord and rely on his God.' I know someone who knows what is right, all the time. Not just thinks they're right, but are right. This doesn't mean they judge me, otherwise why would they want me to walk with them if they are perfect and I'm a mess? 

God does not look at us and tut over our failures of our own moral code, but He lets us know we can trust Him. He welcomes and invites us to rely on Him to make us 'right'. He can show us where we are going if we trust and rely on Him.

When I read this I felt relieved - It sounds like I don't have to work so hard! 

I don't have to consider which rules I need to keep, I can trust God to gradually help me to become better. To think, do and say the right things. I can relax in the knowledge that it's not all up to me to be acceptable, or good, but I can trust and rely on God to lead me well. 
So, if you are inwardly struggling with breaking your own moral code, and have that internal ache that reminds you that you are not as good as you profess yourself to be, then I encourage you to ask God to help you. 

Trust Him to lead you well, He forgives you, He accepts you and He will lead you right.

No comments:

Post a Comment