Wednesday 9 August 2017

Living in the light

I have been reminded this week of the passage in Revelation 21 where it speaks of a new Jerusalem which God has prepared. It's an incredible image. If you don't know what I'm talking about check it out. 

Just try to imagine it, it's incredible. Like nothing we have ever seen before. This new city is glorious, it sparkles. The gates are pearls, the roads of gold, the walls are jasper, and the foundations are even made with jewels! Wow! What a place!

The passage goes onto say that there is no sun or moon because God is the light that shines in the city. His light never goes out, so it's daytime all the time. 
That struck me - There will be no night, no darkness. Only light. 

This got me thinking - Why no darkness? 
Darkness can be scary for some, so that's a relief in itself. 
Things don't always seem what they are when it's dark. If it's light all the time, you can see things as they are. There's a sense of truth in light - things are revealed. 
There's no hiding when it's light either. There can be no sneaking around, doing things we know we shouldn't. If we are honest, most of the things we do that we are ashamed of we don't reveal in broad daylight. We might sneak, lie, cheat, hide our secret sins. In this place though, this new Jerusalem, this heavenly, holy city of God, there can be none of that. 

Honestly, that scares me a bit, I don't know about you, but this made me realise that I'd better get some practice in before I get there! I am not perfect, I know I do things wrong, and I also don't do some of the things I know I should. I need the practice of living in this holy city of constant light now, because I want to live there - do you? 

So, I have made a decision. I am going to do my best to live like that light is here all the time. If you're a Christian like me, then you should be aware that God's presence is with you. That unbelievable light is surrounding you now, and every moment - do you live like it does? I know I haven't, and I'm determined to change that.

The reality of this means you might have some habits you need to drop, and some new ones you need to pick up. It's not about just not doing certain things, but also doing things that we know we should. 
I have known I should pray or talk to people at times and missed it because I was scared. Scared of what? People. People of all things, more scared of people than God. How ridiculous does that sound in relation to this passage?!!!! 
I am writing this down as a reminder and challenge to myself and others who, like me who want to get to that city. I am going to do my best to remember God's light is around me all the time. To live as if I'm in the city right now, not as if it's a far off promise. The reality is, none of us know when we are going to get there. None of us know when our lives will end, so I am going to start preparing now for eternity, after all I'm going to be there for far longer than I walk this Earth! 
Are you ready to take the challenge of living in the light?


the city has no need of sun or moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and its lamp is the Lamb. By it's light will the nations walk, and the kings of the earth will bring their glory into it, and it's gates will never be shut by day—and there will be no night there. They will bring into it the glory and the honor of the nations. But nothing unclean will ever enter it, nor anyone who does what is detestable or false, but only those who are written in the Lamb's book of life.

Revelation 21:23-27

No comments:

Post a Comment