Tuesday 19 September 2017

Risky Comfort

Are you comfortable? If yes, then you're in a risky position. 

If we are comfortable with our lives then we are unwilling to change and can be unmotivated to do much. If you've got a comfy bed for example, it's easy to settle there and not want to get up, to rest longer than we know we should. 
Same with life. If we are comfortable with our; family, job, home, income, activities, then we can easily get through life. Going from one thing to the next with a breeze and being unmotivated to change anything. There is no challenge. 

On the other hand, I'm sure we can all think of a time when life has been uncomfortable. Maybe there's been family fall out, job loss, boredom even. In those circumstances we are motivated and challenged to change something. Then we can spring into action in order to make sure our lives become more comfortable. 

I've been thinking about this because I'm quite comfortable with my life. I love where I live, the house, location, friends, groups we are involved in. I am comfortable with these things. 
Then what happens if along comes an opportunity for change? What would my reaction be? No thank you, I like things how they are?  I am comfortable here. It would disrupt things and I am quite comfortable right now thank you very much. This new thing scares me.

As I considered this reaction I thought about how it is risky being comfortable. 

It's risky because you don't realise what you could be missing out on. If you never take up a new opportunity then you never know what benefit it could be. It would mean change of course, but sometimes change can be a positive thing, I found I could quite easily reason myself out of doing anything and stick with the easy way. What about the house, dog, kids....? However what if the change could be beneficial to all those things? 

So should we choose the most comfortable path? What benefit is that long term? Is this life about living comfortably? About having nice things and nice people so that we are comfortable? Or is life more of a journey? An adventure where we are called to explore and investigate? 


No comments:

Post a Comment