Thursday 6 September 2018

Do you inquire of the Lord?



2 Samuel 5:17–25 (ESV): David Defeats the Philistines
17 When the Philistines heard that David had been anointed king over Israel, all the Philistines went up to search for David. But David heard of it and went down to the stronghold. 18 Now the Philistines had come and spread out in the Valley of Rephaim. 19 And David inquired of the Lord, “Shall I go up against the Philistines? Will you give them into my hand?” And the Lord said to David, “Go up, for I will certainly give the Philistines into your hand.” 20 And David came to Baal-perazim, and David defeated them there. And he said, “The Lord has broken through my enemies before me like a breaking flood.” Therefore the name of that place is called Baal-perazim. 21 And the Philistines left their idols there, and David and his men carried them away. 
22 And the Philistines came up yet again and spread out in the Valley of Rephaim. 23 And when David inquired of the Lord, he said, “You shall not go up; go around to their rear, and come against them opposite the balsam trees. 24 And when you hear the sound of marching in the tops of the balsam trees, then rouse yourself, for then the Lord has gone out before you to strike down the army of the Philistines.” 25 And David did as the Lord commanded him, and struck down the Philistines from Geba to Gezer

David had just become king of all Israel, and now he was in charge and had the Philistines attacking. What does David do first? He doesn't assemble a committee or draw up a plan, but he prays. 
What do you do when you know a difficult situation is coming? 
It is so easy to consult our own strengths, our own mind and our friends, family and colleagues, but I love this example of David as it challenges me. When things are coming up that look hard, he consulted God first. He didn't rely on anything or anyone else. He allowed God to make the plan and he put it into action. 
David doesn't then rely on the same strategy the second time the same situation occurs, instead, he consults God again. It's so easy for us to think, 'well this worked last time' and just get on with whatever problem it is we are facing. Yet, God uses a different strategy with David, even though he faces the same enemy. I admire David's reliance, this David who is the king of a nation doesn't rely on his reputation, authority or knowledge, but defers to God both times. 

David has probably learned that when he relies on God, situations work out, I mean after all David started as a shepherd, was ostracised and hunted down yet he survived. David knew God keeps his promises, he'd seen God's faithfulness in action. I know I have seen God's faithfulness in my life too, yet I forget to rely on that in my everyday life. 


What about you? Do you ask God first or just get on with things? I wonder if we are missing out on some success or peace when we do things our own way. David asked of God, did what He said and experienced success. I wonder if sometimes there's a better way than our own ideas? 

No comments:

Post a Comment