Thursday 16 May 2019

A Good Name

‘A good name is better than precious ointment’ 
Ecclesiastes 7:1

A 'good name' - what does that mean?
A name is more than an identifier - a tag or label to set you apart from others.
For the Jews, in the time of Solomon, a name signified something of who they are and what they will be. In 1 Samuel 25:25 it says, ‘as his name is, so is he’ - a name is about the essence of who you are, not just what you are called. It is more than an identifier, it depicts elements of character, personality and potential.

So, to be of ‘good name’ is not just about having a nice name with a meaning or story. It is far more foundational. Being of ‘good name’ is connected with the basis of who we are - our character, reputation and potential. Our name emanates meaning beyond a title. It is not just a tag but a fundamental exhibitiion of who we are.

Your name carries significance. 

Not just because your parents chose it, or because it has a a sweet story attached, but because your character, reputation and potential are attached to it. It may be that you’re not sure about the meaning of your name.
My name, ‘Natalie’  is attached to the words birth and Christmas Day (I was born in April!). So, I may be excused from thinking that my name is irrelevant, as I clearly wasn’t born on Christmas and I have never given birth! Maybe I was just given the name because my parents’ thought it sounded nice.
Yet, this verse tells us there is more to it than that, as does the verse in Samuel. We have our names for a purpose. They are intended to demonstrate something of who we are and what we can become. I do not know how I will live up to my name, but I have been given it and maybe there are things that will be given birth to through my life (I hope so).

It’s not all about the actual name definitions found in every baby book, but to have a good name includes having a good, moral, upright, and admired character. Solomon is saying a good name is highly valued, precious, significant, they are ‘precious ointment’ - something valuable and curative. Our names should do people good when they hear them, they should leave others with a pleasant aroma.

What does your name say about you? Have you ever considered the connotations people will have to your name after meeting you? Does your name seem precious to those who utter it?

No comments:

Post a Comment