Thursday 30 January 2020

Small Beginnings

#
I am sure, like me, you’ve had times in your life when things look like they are going to get difficult . Times when you look at the future and you become concerned. You look ahead with confusion and distress and don’t know where to start to make improve things. The way ahead looks hard, there are obstacles to navigate, and plenty to pray about as you are coming into a season of being stretched.
It doesn’t really matter what the circumstances are, it could be; a work situation, a family issue, financial difficulties, illness or a whole multitude of other things. The fact remains though that you are contemplating the impact of whatever it is on your life, and you’re not sure what you can do to navigate this season well, you don’t know how to get the answers or solutions you need or maybe even the resources.

What do you do then?

When your life looks uncertain and you are worried, what do you do? These times certainly test our faith!

As a family, we have had a lot of change recently, there have been a lot of things that have happened. Some we have been in control of, others we haven’t, some have been expected, some events came out of the blue. A lot has occurred for our circumstances to change even in the last month.
A few of these circumstances caught my attention because of the long-term implications and the insurmountable solutions required. Looking at the future concerned me, and made me feel sad. I could not see how things could improve - So, what can I do?

The only thing I could - pray

When I say I pray, I admit that I haven’t spent hours in prayer, but I have let God know my worries, my thoughts and feelings, my hopes and ideas. I have spent time telling God what I could see was going on and I have asked Him to intervene. You see, God cares about the big and small worries of my life, and He cares about yours too. He likes us to admit how we are doing and for us to let him know how we are responding to these things. Some of you reading this may not have batted an eyelid to the things that have caused me concern, but that doesn’t matter. It doesn’t matter how others perceive our situations because they are not the ones having to deal with it and having to work out their faith in it. We each have our own situations and concerns to manage and walk through in life, and we are responsible for how we handle and respond to the circumstances in our own lives.

So, I prayed. I told God how I was doing, how I had seen others respond, I asked Him how I should react, is there something I need to do God? I have also let God know I am really upset, disappointed, worried, scared, annoyed even. I have prayed for others involved, I pray for wisdom, for His love to be demonstrated. I pray for better to come. I pray and trust that God can and will transform what doesn’t seem good or helpful into something great and I continue to pray.

Do you know, as I have prayed about these situations, I have noticed God working. God has, in small ways, showed me that He is listening. The circumstances are no different, things have not been magically restored or repaired, but I have seen things from a new angle, and I have seen God provide in small ways. Would I have noticed such Godly intervention if I hadn’t been praying I wonder?

The circumstances have not been radically transformed, but I have seen small things that have and will make a huge difference. Some of these blessings may be temporary, but they show the presence, power and protection of God. It reminds me of the following verse;

Zecahriah 4:10; ‘Do not despise these small beginnings, for the Lord rejoices to see the work begin’.

I have seen, ’small beginnings’ of hope entering these situations. It gives me such gratitude that God would take the time to intervene, to show that he is aware of what is going on, that He is present and active even when things seem distressing and difficult. I love how this verse says that God, ‘rejoices to see the work begin’. God likes to bring about new things in our lives. Sometimes that means we will encounter difficult times, but God will show His presence - are you praying and preparing to hear from Him?

When you pray about something do you look out for the ‘small beginnings’? The little incidences that occur that aren’t the full answer, but show that God is on it? How awesome is it that we have a God who cares enough about us to remind us He is there and in charge?! I am grateful that I prayed, if I hadn’t I may of missed the small beginnings of the life changes that are going to follow. I have not seen the full picture yet, I do not know the far-reaching consequences of what is occurring, but God has renewed my confidence and invigorated my faith by stepping in to show He is in these problems.

So, today, if something is bothering you, don’t dismiss praying for it. Nothing is too big or small for God to intervene. It may be too big or small for you, but not for God. Once you’ve prayed, keep praying and be ready for the ‘small beginnings’ that will come. God rejoices in them, you should too. Be assured that God is at work. God will show His presence - are you looking for it?

No comments:

Post a Comment