Monday 12 December 2022

Honouring God through mistakes

David created this song, psalm 30, as a response to events in his life and he begins and ends with worship. The intro shows us that it was used at the dedication of the temple, so clearly this psalm was publicly sung. As you read it, consider how brave that was;

Psalm 30

Joy Comes with the Morning

A Psalm of David. A song at the dedication of the temple. 

*1* I will extol you, O Lord, for you have drawn me up and have not let my foes rejoice over me. 

*2* O Lord my God, I cried to you for help, and you have healed me. 

*3* O Lord, you have brought up my soul from Sheol; you restored me to life from among those who go down to the pit. 

*4* Sing praises to the Lord, O you his saints, and give thanks to his holy name. 

*5* For his anger is but for a moment, and his favour is for a lifetime. 

Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning. 

*6* As for me, I said in my prosperity, “I shall never be moved.” 

*7* By your favour, O Lord, you made my mountain stand strong; you hid your face; I was dismayed. 

*8* To you, O Lord, I cry, and to the Lord I plead for mercy: 

*9* “What profit is there in my death, if I go down to the pit? Will the dust praise you? Will it tell of your faithfulness? 

*10*Hear, O Lord, and be merciful to me! O Lord, be my helper!” 

*11*You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; you have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness, 

*12*that my glory may sing your praise and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to you forever! 


Within this psalm King David admits he was prideful, shows he repented, how he prayed, and demonstrates how he worships - That’s a lot of personal revelation for a public event! How brave was that of David?! King David openly acknowledging his failures and weaknesses to his subjects. He was not ashamed of allowing the nation to know where he has failed, how he recognised it, repented and was restored. He did not cover it up as many leaders nowadays would do, but instead uses his troubles and errors to give God glory. 

David is not embarrassed of his own wrongdoing, weakness or failure because he knows that through it it shows God’s endurance, love and restoration. He bravely allowed this psalm to be sung at a ceremony knowing that it told of his failure to all the people gathered there. This probably took more courage than the many battles David had to face! Yet he was willing to do it and be thought of less in order for God to be thought of more. He honoured God through his mistakes, he did not hide them, pretend it didn't happen, but David shared about them in such a way that worshipped God.

As the people heard this song and considered its content, I wonder how the people would have responded to their king. If it were me, I would be amazed at his honesty and vulnerability and respect him for it. It would certainly help to recognise that leaders, after all, are human and not perfect - they too need God to step in, intervene, forgive and restore them. This leader, this successful king, one who had reason to be proud, was humbled by God and not afraid to admit it to his kingdom. Not only that but he celebrated through his downfall because God has once again been faithful and forgiven and restored David. This must have stirred the faith of the people and helped them to consider who this God is that David talks about. The humility of David here shows the greatness of God.

What great encouragement!

We do not need to pretend we are perfect or hide our mistakes, but we can worship God for His forgiveness, love, power, restoration, healing, favour, mercy and joy as David did. You do not need to be a king to do that, don't us everyday people also mess up at times as well? We too can decide whether we use each circumstance in life to give God honour. We make mistakes, sometimes we get it right, sometimes we get it wrong. What do you do when you know you've gone wrong? Do you cry out to God for His mercy? God has the power, the capability and favour to change things for you, do you willingly, openly and repentantly seek it? No matter what mess you get yourself into, you have the opportunity to cry out and plead for mercy to the Lord just as David did. When we wholeheartedly accept our errors and want to turn away from them God can turn from anger to favour and turn our weeping to joy. Is that something that you want for your life? Is that something you have experienced in your own life?

Then, what do you do when God shows up and changes things for you? 

David shared this account of his error as a psalm because he wanted the nation to know that they too can approach the mighty, loving, creator God with their issues too. That is why he told this personal testimony. He wanted others to see that the God he serves is just, kind, patient, forgiving and powerful and deserves the praise of us all. Therefore do not be ashamed or scared to share your stories too. Like David, you too could inspire faith and praise to those who hear them. Are you willing to worship God through your mistakes like David did? You can show God's great mercy, forgiveness and love because He still restores, heals and forgives you. It may not be through a public song, but could be to those you work with, friends, neighbours, family. David inspired a nation to follow God under his leadership - who could you inspire to follow God by sharing about how He has really worked in your life?



No comments:

Post a Comment