Monday 29 January 2024

the prayer of the innocent

 Psalm 17:1–15 (ESV): 

Hear a just cause, O Lord; attend to my cry! 

Give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit! 

2  From your presence let my vindication come! 

Let your eyes behold the right! 

3  You have tried my heart, you have visited me by night, 

you have tested me, and you will find nothing; 

I have purposed that my mouth will not transgress. 

4  With regard to the works of man, by the word of your lips 

I have avoided the ways of the violent. 

5  My steps have held fast to your paths; 

my feet have not slipped. 

6  I call upon you, for you will answer me, O God; 

incline your ear to me; hear my words. 

7  Wondrously show your steadfast love, 

O Saviour of those who seek refuge 

from their adversaries at your right hand. 

8  Keep me as the apple of your eye; 

hide me in the shadow of your wings, 

9  from the wicked who do me violence, 

my deadly enemies who surround me. 

10  They close their hearts to pity; 

with their mouths they speak arrogantly. 

11  They have now surrounded our steps; 

they set their eyes to cast us to the ground. 

12  He is like a lion eager to tear, 

as a young lion lurking in ambush. 

13  Arise, O Lord! Confront him, subdue him! 

Deliver my soul from the wicked by your sword, 

14  from men by your hand, O Lord, 

from men of the world whose portion is in this life. 

You fill their womb with treasure; 

they are satisfied with children, 

and they leave their abundance to their infants. 

15  As for me, I shall behold your face in righteousness; 

when I awake, I shall be satisfied with your likeness. 

David proclaims innocence - he does his best to honour God not just in the way he speaks to Him, but through how he lives his life. David considers his words and actions as he goes about his ordinary day, thinking about how he speaks to and treats others, the decisions he makes and how that reflects the faith he has. He considers God as he goes about his ordinary, day-to-day business, do you? David also takes time to evaluate his responses, he is great at self-reflection being honest about his mistakes and his innocence in situations. It is difficult to be so honest even with ourselves at times, yet David seems to have been good at evaluating his actions and motives and considering how they demonstrate his love for God. It is from this position of openness and self-reflection that David has incredible conversations and relationship with God. 

David is conscious of God’s presence always and determines to do his best to keep in line with God’s will. He knows that he can approach God as one who is living in God’s favour. Not because he was perfect, but because he was open and honest with God. He has built a relationship of trust with Him and enjoys the relationship he has with God, so he is mindful of it everyday and everywhere. This has therefore impacted how David lives his life. He is different to those, 'lurking' trying to capture and hurt him, and those who are in live with Earthly treasures. Instead of being bound up with life in this world, David has decided to live his life with God, therefore this life and it's stuff is not as attractive for David, but a relationship with God is to be valued, sought and lived for. Therefore he does his best to live right for God. Not for himself or others, but because he knows being in right relationship with God is the best position to be. No matter what else comes his way; whether riches, poverty, illness, friends or foes, David knows that if he lives following God's path he can seek God for wisdom, guidance and help. Are you living right before God? Can you expect God to assist you because you are doing your best to live the way He wants you to live?

Before you ask God for anything, examine your heart, your motives and your actions. Then, once you have assessed your right to ask God, you will know whether you need to come to him in repentance or in supplication. If you want and expect God to show up, to transform situations in your life, you need to fairly assess yourself. As David did, consider if you are living in innocence before God and man, have you guarded your words and your actions? If there is any wrong in you, ask God to point it out. David was clearly in distress as he wrote this psalm, but he knew he could petition God as he was convinced and assured of his innocence, are you? Will you listen when God visits you in the night, tries your heart and tests you? 
If you want to know God's powerful love and breakthrough in your life, you need to make sure that you are living conscious of His presence in every area of your life. That you are aligning your life with His will, not your own or anyone elses. Determine to live in innocence before God then, when you need His help you can have confidence that God will act as you say along with David, 'My steps have held fast to your paths; my feet have not slipped. 6  I call upon you, for you will answer me, O God'.


No comments:

Post a Comment