Monday, 5 October 2026

How to stop worrying

Following on from the previous passage where Jesus was challenging people to consider who they were following - God or money, and to contemplate where there treasure is, Jesus speaks about not being anxious about the everyday things like the things money can buy, food and clothing. 

Matthew 6:25–34 (ESV): 

25 “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? 26 Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? 27 And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? 28 And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, 29 yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 30 But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31 Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. 33 But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. 

34 “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble. 

Do you get worried or anxious about everyday matters? Jesus tells you not to. I know it is not that easy to just switch it off though! I used to be full of worries, i would "worry about worrying" as my parents tell me. Yet, over the years and decades, I have learnt to trust God more than the concerns of this life. I did it by doing as Jesus recommends in this passage, “consider the lilies of the field…” Instead of focusing on the things that cause concern, focus on how God has created, and takes care of what He has made like the birds, flowers and trees. Really take time to consider them. How they are created, their beauty and complexity as well as how they are provided for  - not just to survive, but to thrive and multiply. 

Then think about what God has already done in your life, in the lives of others and throughout history, and remember that He is still the same today, and He will be tomorrow. He is The One you can unshakeably trust. He has proved His worth. So what have you got to worry about in comparison to this Almighty God?! Reframe your mind to think about Him more than the things that concern you. 

As a young christian full of fear, having someone I could always talk to, who tells me they are my friend, and who cares about all the things I care about, was a revelation. I learnt to pray about the things that caused me to worry, and i worried all the time, so God was busy listening! I would question decisions i had made, ones i hadn’t, things i had said and not said, if people were upset with me, liked me, what i had done or not done. My whole life was constant worry, so to realise that there is a God that cares about me and likes to talk with me even about the things i fretted about but never spoke to others about was a huge relief. I talked to God about all of these fears and concerns, and He listened. I learnt to read the Bible and try to understand it. I thought about passages like this one, and saw from my observations of life that God does indeed take care of the flowers and birds, and he says, “are you not of more value than they?”! So, if God says that He is taking care of all of these things, and He says I am worth more than that, who am I to worry? I often cannot solve the problems and concerns I face. I cannot make any difference in some situations. However I can talk to a God who can. So can you. Although Jesus says not to be anxious, you can talk to God about it and ask Him to relieve your fears, and you can trust that He will do it. God doesn’t mind you talking about such things with Him, He will listen. Once you have spoken with Him, remind yourself of the truth. Look at who He is, what He has done, and is doing in the world around you. Then you will realise the bigness of your fears is overshadowed by the mightiness, power, love, care and greatness of God. 

God knows what you need and He is providing your sustenance and every breath right now, as well as caring for the creatures and creation that He has made. So learn to look at the power, capacity and care of God your Father. Train your mind to think of such things and allow the truth of God’s ability to fill your mind and thoughts rather than those anxious ones. Your heavenly Father feeds and clothes, so take Jesus’ advice and “seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness” then you will have nothing to worry about!

No comments:

Post a Comment