Thursday 8 January 2015

Am I 'good'?

I know it's easy to think we're 'good', doing alright most of the time. We can be having a good day, behaving ourselves, managing quite well. Then we can end up putting God on the backburner as we're doing ok.

Today, I have been caused to think again as I read this verse;
'For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them' Ephesians 2:10

This verse explains how we have been hand-crafted, not at creation, but our re-creation when we believe. It states that we are; 'created in Christ'. 
So, we had to be re-made. This remodelling was so that we could complete 'good works'. We are only inherently good because God came and changed us. He chose to make us afresh and adjust our being so that we could become good and righteous. This is emphasised as Paul recognises that God 'prepared beforehand' these good works. 
God chose to use us before we recognised Him, before we believed in Him, and before we turned to Him. 

It is because of God's re-creation within us that our hearts and minds change, it's because He chose to develop each and everyone of us into 'good' people that we can have days when we think we're doing alright.

I know it's easy to get complacent, easy to take God for granted, that's why He has reminds us why we are the way we are, because of His grace. God has decided to restore my default setting to 'good' because I trust and believe in Him for my salvation, and deisre to live life God's way. He has taken away, wiped out and destroyed our previous settings, whether it be; 'bad', 'sinner' or 'worthless'.

We are, each and everyone of us; designed, developed and decorated by God. He has put HIs seal on us, His stamp of approval, AND he has important things for us to achieve - otherwise why would He bother preparing them beforehand? 

So, am I good? 

Indeed I am, as God has made me so!


'Whatever I am now, it is all because God poured out His special favour on me - and not without results. For I have worked harder than all the apostles; yet it was not I but God who was working through me by His grace.' 1 Corinthians 15:1

No comments:

Post a Comment