Tuesday 18 July 2017

Where does your help come from?

Where do you look for help?

Psalm 121 says; 
'I lift up my eyes to the hills.
From where does my help come?' (V1)

Hills? How how can the hills help you?
In your troubles, what good will looking at hills do? They are big and awesome but they are not going to be able to change your circumstances. They are silent and unmoving - what help are they going to be? So, what CAN help?
 The next verse tells us the best place to seek help - 'My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth.'

Looking elsewhere for assistance is as useless as looking at the hills and expecting an answer. What kind of answer do you expect to get from other sources? If your natural impulse is to have a few drinks, go shopping, clean, or a whole host of other options - do those things make your situation better? They may distract or numb our feelings for a bit, but they do t give us the answers we seek. They are as useful as the hills in our hours of need.

'my help comes from the maker of heavens and Earth.'
Personally, I don't look at the hills, or other things whether nature or man made. My help comes from the one who made all that stuff. He has made the hills, and everything else you see around you. He's kept this Earth in motion and sustained it for thousands of years. So, He seems to know what he's doing. 
So, when trouble comes and I need help in my little life in comparison even to one hill or one of those years, I know where my help is. I know the one who has strength and power to help me. 

Now, my testimony is not that He always takes away the trouble, but he ALWAYS helps me through it. 

I have not had a perfect life, nor an easy one in some ways, but I'm still standing! 
I have seen; death, experienced grief and rejection, financial difficulty, known disappointment and illness. Most of you reading this have probably experienced those things too. 

I can tell you that when I call out to God when I'm in trouble (and I do t always - I'm not perfect!) God has often given peace to me when I should of felt stressed and overwhelmed. 
He has helped me keep a straight head when all around seems to be chaos. I am not perfect though, so when trouble comes I haven't always called out to God, and those times have been harder because I rely on myself. The reality is, you and I are not big enough or strong enough to handle some of the troubles of life, and we are not meant to. 
There is one who is though, the 'maker of heaven and earth' who is big enough and strong enough to carry you through any situation. 
He made the whole world that we live in, He can definitely help you in your troubles. 


If you've found your current ways of dealing with trouble don't help, why not try a new way and ask God, the maker of heaven and Earth? 

No comments:

Post a Comment