Thursday 1 November 2018

MY God

2 Samuel 22:2–4 (ESV): 

The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, 
 3  my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, 
  my shield, and the horn of my salvation, 
my stronghold and my refuge, 
my savior; you save me from violence. 
 4  I call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised, 
and I am saved from my enemies. 

What a strong, confident expression of who God is to the person who wrote this - David. I like this because it shows something of the personal nature of God. 
David uses the word 'my' a lot, showing that he recognises the up close and personal nature of God. He knows that God is interested and invested in his life. God is just as interested and invested in yours too, do you know that? 
Consider that as we look at the different aspects aspects David reveals of God's character in this passage:

My rock - stable, strong, unshakeable, steady, dependable and trustworthy.

My fortress - protection, watchtower, inaccessible to the enemy.

My deliverer - one who sets free, allows escape.

My God - amongst many other things - the one in charge who knows what they are doing.

My shield - protection, weapon.

Horn of my salvation - source of pride, might and strength (like for an animal)

My stronghold - security, stability, safety.

My refuge - place of hiding, repairing, restoration and equipping.

My saviour - the one who saves from danger, redeemer.

From these few verses we can see something of the personal nature and power of God. God does not just sit back and look at your situation. He is actively involved in; protecting you, fighting for you and saving you. 

How have you seen Him do that in your life? 



No comments:

Post a Comment