Monday 1 April 2024

Which assembly do you wish to be part of?

Psalm 26:1–12 (ESV): 

1  Vindicate me, O Lord, 

for I have walked in my integrity, 

and I have trusted in the Lord without wavering. 

2  Prove me, O Lord, and try me; 

test my heart and my mind. 

3  For your steadfast love is before my eyes, 

and I walk in your faithfulness. 

4  I do not sit with men of falsehood, 

nor do I consort with hypocrites. 

5  I hate the assembly of evildoers, 

and I will not sit with the wicked. 

6  I wash my hands in innocence 

and go around your altar, O Lord, 

7  proclaiming thanksgiving aloud, 

and telling all your wondrous deeds. 

8  O Lord, I love the habitation of your house 

and the place where your glory dwells. 

9  Do not sweep my soul away with sinners, 

nor my life with bloodthirsty men, 

10  in whose hands are evil devices, 

and whose right hands are full of bribes. 

11  But as for me, I shall walk in my integrity; 

redeem me, and be gracious to me. 

12  My foot stands on level ground; 

in the great assembly I will bless the Lord. 

I find it interesting that David says, ‘I love the habitation of your house’ as at the time David wrote this there was no temple of God. David desired to build one, but God told him that his son would do it, not him. So the altar and the ark of the covenant still had no permanent home. It was placed in a large tent (like in the time of Moses). This was the ‘house’ of God, the place of worship in David’s time. It was not permanent or solid, yet it was a secure environment that was pleasant to be in because God’s ‘glory dwells’ there. Wherever God’s glory dwells it is a place of safety, acceptance, fun, deliverance, mercy and love, so why wouldn’t David love to be there?! 

In contrast, David also talks about the ‘assembly of evildoers’, where sin, lying, hypocrisy, wickedness and general godlessness abound. One assembly is full of thanksgiving and praise of God and the other is full of bribes and 'bloodthirsty men'. Which assembly would you like to be a part of? In life, you get to choose the kinds of people you spend time with and the places you go. David was aware of this, and he was also conscious of the fact that the places you go and the people you surround yourself with impact you. So, who do you choose to be with? Who are you allowing to influence your life? 

Even if you would choose to only spend time with those who are part of the house of God, the reality is that sometimes you will be around people that you would rather not be. Whether that is at work, in your community or when travelling, you will be in the presence of people that are not following God. David is prepared for these interactions and situations as he learnt a good technique for when he needs to be around these people. He determines not to ‘sit’ with them. That may sound simple or even a bit rude, but David ensures that he does not get comfortable being around the wicked. He does not allow their schemes or  advice hold sway in his life. He has worked out that when he is around those that lie and do evil he limits the time he is with them. He does not hang out with them, take a comfortable position or seek to stay around the wicked for long. David knows you can end up being influenced by their ideas and ideals and it can affect your integrity, mind, decisions and faith. Therefore he does not give these people permission to 'sit' in his presence, and he chooses not to 'sit' with them either. Are you mindful of the people you choose spend time with? When you are around them, do their behaviours and attitudes sway you? Do they have a good, godly influence on you, or do they lead you to damage your character and integrity? Ensure that when you leave the company of others you can say as David did that you, ‘wash my hands in innocence’.

David knows what it is like to be amongst the godly and the ungodly, and has realised what is better for him. His desire is to continue to live his life surrounded by those that honour God. He wants to keep living in integrity. Therefore he ensures that he, even though he is a; mighty, powerful, famous, busy king, gets to the place of worship regularly. David knows that the only way that he can keep living well and keep his integrity, is if he puts worshipping and honouring God at the forefront of his life. David realises that he needs to put himself in the presence of God and surround himself with the right ‘assembly’ of people so that he can ‘bless the Lord’ and keep his life righteous. 

Being with God’s people in God's house should be far more attractive than ‘the assembly of evildoers’. When you meet in the dwelling place of God, His presence is tangible. It is a place worship, sacrifice, cleansing, praise, strengthening and thanksgiving. Whereas where the wicked meet is full of lies, hypocrisy, harm, greed and violence. Where would you rather be?

Do you love going to a place of worship? Do you look forward to meeting with other believers? If not, why not? Meeting as an assembly of believers should be something you yearn to do, where you experience the love, presence and forgiveness of God - what could be better than that?! Meeting as church should be fun and bring revelation and freedom, helping people clean up their lives and giving thanks for God’s many, ‘wondrous deeds’. An opportunity for you to share what God has been doing in your life, to give and receive prayer and teaching, to challenge and change you more into the image of Christ. Can you say along with David, 'I love the habitation of your house and the place where your glory dwells'?


No comments:

Post a Comment