Monday 25 March 2024

Power of Patience

 Psalm 25:1–22 (ESV):  

1  To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul. 

2  O my God, in you I trust; 

let me not be put to shame; 

let not my enemies exult over me. 

3  Indeed, none who wait for you shall be put to shame; 

they shall be ashamed who are wantonly treacherous. 

4  Make me to know your ways, O Lord; 

teach me your paths. 

5  Lead me in your truth and teach me, 

for you are the God of my salvation; 

for you I wait all the day long. 

6  Remember your mercy, O Lord, and your steadfast love, 

for they have been from of old. 

7  Remember not the sins of my youth or my transgressions; 

according to your steadfast love remember me, 

for the sake of your goodness, O Lord! 

8  Good and upright is the Lord; 

therefore he instructs sinners in the way. 

9  He leads the humble in what is right, 

and teaches the humble his way. 

10  All the paths of the Lord are steadfast love and faithfulness, 

for those who keep his covenant and his testimonies. 

11  For your name’s sake, O Lord, 

pardon my guilt, for it is great. 

12  Who is the man who fears the Lord? 

Him will he instruct in the way that he should choose. 

13  His soul shall abide in well-being, 

and his offspring shall inherit the land. 

14  The friendship of the Lord is for those who fear him, 

and he makes known to them his covenant. 

15  My eyes are ever toward the Lord, 

for he will pluck my feet out of the net. 

16  Turn to me and be gracious to me, 

for I am lonely and afflicted. 

17  The troubles of my heart are enlarged; 

bring me out of my distresses. 

18  Consider my affliction and my trouble, 

and forgive all my sins. 

19  Consider how many are my foes, 

and with what violent hatred they hate me. 

20  Oh, guard my soul, and deliver me! 

Let me not be put to shame, for I take refuge in you. 

21  May integrity and uprightness preserve me, 

for I wait for you. 

22  Redeem Israel, O God, 

out of all his troubles.

This psalm is clearly the reflection of someone who has walked with God for a long time and experienced some troubles along the way. They refer to being guided during the time of their youth, and mention God helping them through various trials. The manner in which this is written shows a calm, confident maturity. Even when the writer speaks of times of distress this is not with explosive emotion, fear or anxiety, but with a calm assurance of God’s steadfast and certain assistance. Asking God to intervene and confident that He will as God, ‘will not put to shame’ those who walk with and depend on Him. The author of this psalm clearly had a long-standing relationship with God as they are sure of His work in every aspect of life. They trust in God for; being released from shame, triumph over enemies, direction, teaching, salvation, forgiveness, goodness, continued presence and care, faithfulness, honesty, truth, guidance, love, steadfastness, well-being, inheritance, care of generations to come, rescue, grace, company, relief from trouble, protection and refuge. In all these things the writer knows God can and will act as He has done previously in their life. They have grown in their faith to reflect the steadfast, secure nature of God. They have done this by continuing to put God in the midst of whatever they have going on. Their life is not their own, but one lived in consideration of who God is.

This psalmist is able to reflect in this prayerful manner about how God has been steadfast, true and helpful throughout his life. Therefore in this present distress that has brought loneliness, fear and sadness, they still trust and wait for God. They have learnt the power of patience. The practice of waiting is referred to several times in this piece of writing. Specifically, waiting for God to come and turn around situations. For; salvation, escape, refuge, restoration and release from shame. Do you need God to intervene in a situation in your life? If so, take some advice from the wisdom of this man of God and wait. The person who wrote this psalm and has learnt these things is David. He is the one who has walked with God from his youth into old age and is sharing his experience in this psalm. He is sharing some important things that he has learnt about living such a life, and one of those things is patience. Are you allowing God into your difficulties and awaiting His response? David has learnt over the course of his life that it is far better to wait for God to bring rescue, hope and restoration than trying to get it through your own methods. God does not work in your time frame, but He is working and His conclusion to your situation is far greater and more beneficial than any you can manufacture yourself so are you waiting God's response?

When you consider that the author of this psalm is David, you can start to appreciate the things he had to wait for; being acknowledged as king, rescue from Saul, and his son, forgiveness, battles to be won and his life to be restored are just a few things i can recall. David did not have it easy. He suffered at many times, some because he went wrong but mostly because of others’ sin. In times of distress he is known to have prayed and waited. We can see that from other psalms he has written. David' life was not easy. He experienced a lot of turmoil and distress and it was tempting to do things his own way. However David learnt that if he continues to wait, God would transform the situation and bring about a greater victory than David could. So now, David is sharing his simple and effective wisdom for when you are next in troubled circumstances. Whether it is an external battle or, the ‘troubles of my heart', you too can be quietly assured that God can change the circumstances around you. You just need to keep walking with God, pray and wait. 

When you decide to live your life walking with God as David did, you get to have a relationship with a living, powerful, almighty, loving God. You can be certain that God hears every prayer, and acts in the best way for you in every situation when you follow Him. So, keep walking with Him and asking Him to intervene in your life and you too may have a few tales to tell like David did. You will grow in wisdom, confidence and patience when you entrust your life and it's troubles to God. Learn to pray and wait. If you do that you will see God’s faithful love, powerful rescue and unbelievable transformation in your life. You will become confident in His power, forgiveness and restoration as David did. You just need to ask and then wait. 

How do you need God to intervene in your life today? Tell God about it, ask Him to intervene, and wait. Then you will see God's salvation come. 'Indeed, none who wait for you shall be put to shame'.

No comments:

Post a Comment