Monday 11 March 2024

Is God's presence enough?

23 A Psalm of David. 

1  The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. 

2  He makes me lie down in green pastures. 

He leads me beside still waters. 

3  He restores my soul. 

He leads me in paths of righteousness 

for his name’s sake. 

4  Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, 

I will fear no evil, 

for you are with me; 

your rod and your staff, 

they comfort me. 

5  You prepare a table before me 

in the presence of my enemies; 

you anoint my head with oil; 

my cup overflows. 

6  Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me 

all the days of my life, 

and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord 

forever. 

This psalm has been very relevant for me personally over the past year. As a family we have been journeying through a great tragedy and when it first happened God gave me a picture. The picture was of me in a dark place. It was dark grey, a place where you couldn’t really see what was going on around you or where you were going, but I saw someone there, a distant figure and I knew it was Jesus. The picture reminded me of this psalm as the place in my mind looked to me like a dark valley. Many times over the past 12 months I have had this image and been reassured of God’s presence during the darkest times. 

I had suddenly found myself walking ‘through the valley of the shadow of death’, unsure of how I had got there and no idea how to get out. Yet in the midst of it God kindly showed me that He was present. He had not left me alone, and as long as I kept looking to Him, He would guide me through. I often recalled this picture and would say to God, “Thank you for being with me, I don’t yet feel your comfort, but I know it will come because you are with me”. This is a promise of this psalm and was the assurance God gave me as I had to endure this season. God did not say it was all going be ok, that it would soon be over, or that there was an escape from this turmoil, but His promise was of His presence and that was enough. Is God’s presence sufficient for you? No matter what storms, trials, adventures, triumphs or celebrations you are going through, are you assured of God's presence? This psalm shows how God is alongside you no matter what season of life you are in; a time of rest, one of provision, healing, suffering, death, direction, temptation, abundance or celebration. No matter your situation, God's 'goodness and mercy' are present. They will always be present because He is with you if you choose to live your life with Him.

Being someone that follows God doesn’t mean that your life life is easy. Read this psalm again if you need proof of that! God doesn't promise that He will sort out all of your problems and the issues of life, but He does assure you of His constant presence and His grace and mercy. Sometimes you will have to walk through valleys that you never expected, and at times you are bathing in the sunshine in fields that you never knew could hold such blessing. You experience both because life has twists and turns. You will make mistakes, you live around people that don’t always get it right and there is an enemy. So be prepared for valleys and darkness to come as well as fields, feasts and green pastures. You are not immune to experiencing trouble if you dedicate your life to following God. Yet you do have a mighty, powerful, loving Father that has always got your back. He will always be there with you in whatever you are experiencing. Sometimes you’ll get hurt, sometimes you’ll know relief, sometimes you’ll know comfort, rest and joy, but always you can know His presence.

If you contemplate the truth of God's never-ending presence and support in your life, then your hope, peace, comfort and confidence in every circumstance will grow. No matter what highs or lows you experience, whether you are in the depths of fear and pain or enjoying abundance and provision, God is there with you. He is always looking out over you, leading you, and helping you. His everlasting love is with you and as you learn to apply that truth, hope, peace and comfort will grow in your life.



No comments:

Post a Comment