Tuesday 5 March 2024

What was Jesus experience at the cross?

Psalm 22 is a prophetic picture of who the Messiah was going to be and what he would experience and even think as he surrendered his life. It so clearly describes Jesus’ experience as he endured crucifixion, and explores his emotions and thoughts displaying his humanity and deity beautifully. The torn body and mind that still extols and honours God, yet is in considerable anguish, despair and pain. How did any writer know in such clarity the details of The Saviours death? How could anyone hundreds of years previously have been able to tell of the Messiah’s fate? No person of the time this was written had an experience that could even mildly equate to that expressed in this piece of writing. It can only be a God-inspired prophetic insight of Our Saviour. How incredible that God speaks in such detail to us about events, people and places not yet seen. When God speaks, it may seem strange or impossible, but it will come to pass, just as this psalm was fulfilled when Jesus died, read it and see for yourself;

Psalm 22:1–31 (ESV):  

1  My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? 

Why are you so far from saving me, from the words of my groaning? 

2  O my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer, 

and by night, but I find no rest. 

3  Yet you are holy, 

enthroned on the praises of Israel. 

4  In you our fathers trusted; 

they trusted, and you delivered them. 

5  To you they cried and were rescued; 

in you they trusted and were not put to shame. 

6  But I am a worm and not a man, 

scorned by mankind and despised by the people. 

7  All who see me mock me; 

they make mouths at me; they wag their heads; 

8  “He trusts in the Lord; let him deliver him; 

let him rescue him, for he delights in him!” 

9  Yet you are he who took me from the womb; 

you made me trust you at my mother’s breasts. 

10  On you was I cast from my birth, 

and from my mother’s womb you have been my God. 

11  Be not far from me, 

for trouble is near, 

and there is none to help. 

12  Many bulls encompass me; 

strong bulls of Bashan surround me; 

13  they open wide their mouths at me, 

like a ravening and roaring lion. 

14  I am poured out like water, 

and all my bones are out of joint; 

my heart is like wax; 

it is melted within my breast; 

15  my strength is dried up like a potsherd, 

and my tongue sticks to my jaws; 

you lay me in the dust of death. 

16  For dogs encompass me; 

a company of evildoers encircles me; 

they have pierced my hands and feet— 

17  I can count all my bones— 

they stare and gloat over me; 

18  they divide my garments among them, 

and for my clothing they cast lots. 

19  But you, O Lord, do not be far off! 

O you my help, come quickly to my aid! 

20  Deliver my soul from the sword, 

my precious life from the power of the dog! 

21  Save me from the mouth of the lion! 

You have rescued me from the horns of the wild oxen! 

22  I will tell of your name to my brothers; 

in the midst of the congregation I will praise you: 

23  You who fear the Lord, praise him! 

All you offspring of Jacob, glorify him, 

and stand in awe of him, all you offspring of Israel! 

24  For he has not despised or abhorred 

the affliction of the afflicted, 

and he has not hidden his face from him, 

but has heard, when he cried to him. 

25  From you comes my praise in the great congregation; 

my vows I will perform before those who fear him. 

26  The afflicted shall eat and be satisfied; 

those who seek him shall praise the Lord! 

May your hearts live forever! 

27  All the ends of the earth shall remember 

and turn to the Lord, 

and all the families of the nations 

shall worship before you. 

28  For kingship belongs to the Lord, 

and he rules over the nations. 

29  All the prosperous of the earth eat and worship; 

before him shall bow all who go down to the dust, 

even the one who could not keep himself alive. 

30  Posterity shall serve him; 

it shall be told of the Lord to the coming generation; 

31  they shall come and proclaim his righteousness to a people yet unborn, 

that he has done it. 

Wow! I don’t know about you, but as I have read and re-read this psalm, I am astounded. Firstly because of the detail of Jesus internal narrative written by someone who was never to meet him or see crucifixion. The preciseness of the revelation of Jesus’ experience in death and how people responded is so accurate, as well as the insight into Jesus’ humanity. What an incredible revelation this psalm was. I wonder how it was received at the time it was written. It probably seemed odd but inspired. It is only now, thousands of years later that we can appreciate that this was written by the Spirit through the hand of David. 

It is easy to imagine that these were the thoughts and prayers of Jesus as he encountered death. It is real and raw, a very human response. It relates to the manner of his death as well as Jesus internal thoughts as he hangs there. 

I am a worm and not a man, scorned by mankind and despised by the people.’ Have you ever felt like that? Insignificant, overlooked, unappreciated, dismissed and derided? Jesus did. How can the Saviour of the World have felt so worthless and in such despair? It demonstrates clearly Jesus’ humanity. He really did suffer. Not just physically but emotionally and mentally too. He was abandoned and ridiculed by those he loved, he even felt the separation and distance of God. Jesus truly experienced humanity in its entirity including its pain and despair. As you read the psalm I am sure you can relate to some of these thoughts and prayers of our Saviour. If so, know you're not alone. When you; Question God, wonder why He doesn’t answer, cry, are ill at ease, struggle to sleep because of concerns/fears, know how God has been trustworthy in the past but struggle to see it right now, feel worthless, feel like everyone is against you, are mocked, feel distant from God, feel helpless, alone and abandoned, are intimidated and scared, have lost strength, are in pain, stripped of worth, desperate, understand that even though this is agony there is purpose in it you can know God Himself has been through the exact same thing. Did you realise that? I didn’t until I read and reflected on this. What great comfort and relief we can know because Jesus really has experienced our pain and sufferings! No-one need feel alone in their internal conflicts or concerns because Jesus has also known all of this and although he died, he still lives. 

You can be a good follower of God and still have these troubled thoughts and concerns as God’s very own son did! He can appreciate how you are feeling and so help you through it. Jesus acknowledged his emotions, thoughts and fears yet he still extolled God. He admitted the truth about how he felt and at the same time reminded himself the truth of His God. The emotions and thoughts of the mind, no matter how big, significant or encompassing they may be should not overshadow the enormity and prevalence of God in your life. After all - which is bigger; your thoughts and emotions, or God? Jesus, who experienced a death and punishment like no-one would ever want to go through, who suffered greatly even with the foreknowledge that he had to go through terrible torment, Jesus still did not dwell on the internal narrative, his emotions or physical pain. Instead, as we see from this psalm his thoughts and prayers transfer from considering his pain and plight to focussing on what God has previously done and who He is. Jesus speaks of God being; worthy of praise and of testifying about, supporter of the afflicted, one who hears, ruler of all, righteous, rescuer and king. When you have it tough, do not be afraid to admit it - even Jesus did. Then, once you have done that, remember who God is. It will begin to change the turmoil you feel, it will give you another focus and give you something greater to be living for. Consider Jesus - consider the reality of his humanity and deity and discover how you can get through those times by being given the new life he offers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment