Sunday 7 July 2024

Pray, wait and share

 Psalm 40:1–17 (ESV):  

1  I waited patiently for the Lord; 

he inclined to me and heard my cry. 

2  He drew me up from the pit of destruction, 

out of the miry bog, 

and set my feet upon a rock, 

making my steps secure. 

3  He put a new song in my mouth, 

a song of praise to our God. 

Many will see and fear, 

and put their trust in the Lord. 

4  Blessed is the man who makes 

the Lord his trust, 

who does not turn to the proud, 

to those who go astray after a lie! 

5  You have multiplied, O Lord my God, 

your wondrous deeds and your thoughts toward us; 

none can compare with you! 

I will proclaim and tell of them, 

yet they are more than can be told. 

6  In sacrifice and offering you have not delighted, 

but you have given me an open ear. 

Burnt offering and sin offering 

you have not required. 

7  Then I said, “Behold, I have come; 

in the scroll of the book it is written of me: 

8  I delight to do your will, O my God; 

your law is within my heart.” 

9  I have told the glad news of deliverance 

in the great congregation; 

behold, I have not restrained my lips, 

as you know, O Lord. 

10  I have not hidden your deliverance within my heart; 

I have spoken of your faithfulness and your salvation; 

I have not concealed your steadfast love and your faithfulness 

from the great congregation. 

11  As for you, O Lord, you will not restrain 

your mercy from me; 

your steadfast love and your faithfulness will 

ever preserve me! 

12  For evils have encompassed me 

beyond number; 

my iniquities have overtaken me, 

and I cannot see; 

they are more than the hairs of my head; 

my heart fails me. 

13  Be pleased, O Lord, to deliver me! 

O Lord, make haste to help me! 

14  Let those be put to shame and disappointed altogether 

who seek to snatch away my life; 

let those be turned back and brought to dishonour 

who delight in my hurt! 

15  Let those be appalled because of their shame 

who say to me, “Aha, Aha!” 

16  But may all who seek you 

rejoice and be glad in you; 

may those who love your salvation 

say continually, “Great is the Lord!” 

17  As for me, I am poor and needy, 

but the Lord takes thought for me. 

You are my help and my deliverer; 

do not delay, O my God! 

When you wait for God to act, He will, and He will give you everything you need. 

David tells us that in his plight he prayed to God, telling Him about the suffering and pain he was experiencing, and God came through. Not just once, but every time. However, each time David had to wait ‘patiently’. When you're in need of God's assistance, do you wait patiently for God to act? Or do you pray, and then try to resolve things yourself? This is fine if God has given you inspiration in how to resolve the issue, otherwise you are preventing God from resolving things and taking the responsibility into your own hands. David tells us that his responsibility was to talk to God, then wait patiently. This is your responsibility too. Yet we can too often do the first bit of praying, but not do the essential second part which is wait! You are not God, therefore you cannot and should not be trying to fix every issue or solve every problem, what you should be doing is what David had learnt - pray and wait. For he declares that, 'I waited patiently for the Lord; he inclined to me and heard my cry.' If you want a testimony like that then you need to do the same.

Look at what David experienced. When he had learnt to pray and wait; painfully, enduringly, waiting. He saw that God; turned to him, listened, rescued him and brought him into a safe place, sent him in a new direction and gave David a reason to worship. When you wait on God, really wait, even when it hurts, you can experience this too. Do you want to be listened to, rescued and restored, given new hope and a heart full of gratitude? Then talk to God about what is going on, then wait. Keep praying and waiting, for however long it takes for the situation to dramatically reform then you will have reasons to worship. God will give you have testimonies to share of His goodness so that, 'Many will see and fear, and put their trust in the Lord.' Once God has helped you through a trying time in your life, what do you do? Do you thank Him? Give Him gratitude and tell others of God's goodness? 

David declares that, 'I have not hidden your deliverance within my heart; I have spoken of your faithfulness and your salvation; I have not concealed your steadfast love and your faithfulness from the great congregation.' When you have been praying for something to happen and it does, do you tell others about it? Overcoming life's obstacles; being preserved, restored, forgiven, saved, heard by God, given direction security and reassurance are all great testimonies that should be shared. These circumstances demonstrate God's steadfast love, His faithfulness, salvation, kindness and power and so your stories should be shared. You should not hide the stories of deliverance and breakthrough, 'within my heart', but rather they need to be shared in, 'the great congregation. Give God the public glory. It will encourage and inspire others, give hope and show the power, might and love of God. Your story could allow others to, 'put their trust in God'. What a marvellous opportunity you have when God has brought you through temptation and trial - it is a chance for you to share your experience and by doing so others can develop trust in God, grow in faith and be inspired to hope in their situation. So, do not keep quiet, do not restrain your lips because you're afraid or feel that your experience is insignificant or silly. Who does that honour? Instead share about the amazing things God has done in you and in your life. Declare with gladness, 'Great is the Lord', show others that God is your, 'help and deliverer'. For by speaking of your, 'glad news of deliverance', you will be increasing joy, hope and faith in God in your hearers and will increase your own joy in your experience of God's love and power. You help to encourage others and build the church when you share the stories of what God has done. 

You can only collect these stories by praying and waiting. If you try to resolve all the problems yourself, who will get the commendation and praise once the trial has ended? 

Pray to God for the impossible, ask Him to preserve your life, to bring direction, breakthrough, deliverance, salvation, restoration, hope, security, and wait for Him to do so. Then you will have reason to worship, and great stories of, 'deliverance' to share with others so that God's love and faithfulness can be seen afresh and people can be inspired to put their trust and hope in God. You can help build the kingdom of God by praying, waiting and sharing - what a wonderful privilege!


No comments:

Post a Comment